Wednesday, October 5, 2011

bean town

I haven't been in my new apt that long, and given that school is very much in session, I haven't had a lot of time to cook or even plan to cook.  Well one night I found myself with a bit of time (shocking I know) and wanted to whip something up, but of course had limited fresh supplies.

Not to fear, I always have a well stocked freezer and pantry. And after some digging I decided to make black bean burgers.  I had never made black bean burgers before, and didn't have a recipe, but I figured, how hard can it be to make a patty, right? Right, actually, here is what I came up with and it's pretty friggin tasty.

What do you need: 
From the pantry:
Can of black beans
Shallot
Garlic

From the freezer:
Corn
Cornbread

From the fridge:
Chipotle pepper
Pickled Jalapenos
Lime Juice
Tabasco

Coffee
Egg
From the spice rack:
Salt, Pepper, Garlic and Onion Powder, Red Pepper Flakes, Cayenne Pepper, Cumin, Chili Powder

 What to do:
1. Pull out that handy dandy food processor and get ready to fill it up:
2. Drain the can of black beans but don't rinse, add to the processor along with a scant cup of corn, 1 shallot roughly chopped, and two cloves of garlic, also roughly chopped.


3. To that add: one chipotle pepper, 1/4 cup (or to taste) of pickled jalapenos, and a hearty seasoning of each of the aforementioned spices.


4. Top it off with an egg, a dash of lime juice, 1/8 cup of coffee, a few dashes of Tabasco, and about two cups of cornbread in pieces.


5. Put that mixer to work; stopping to scrape the sides and bottoms. It should look, well kind of gross, like processed beans do, or baby food...but trust me its tasty.

6. Meanwhile you should have been preheating your oven to 350, sorry about that. Pull out a sheet pan and give it a good spray with some canola oil or something.  Then take a handy disher and dish away.  I like all things mini (as you know) so I went with the slider size patties, if you want to make a proper burger sized patty go for it!

7. Bake them off for 15 minutes then pull out and top with cheese if desired. Pop back in the oven for another 2 minutes and then you are ready to eat. I went ahead and froze half of them and stuck the rest in the fridge for easy lunches throughout the week. 

*To reheat from fridge microwave two for 1 minute. From the freezer microwave for 1 minute then add the cheese and mircrowave for another minute. 

 
delicious, veggie, easy, boom.
 xoxo










No comments:

Post a Comment