Wednesday, January 9, 2013

leftovers: peppermint frosting style

As mentioned previously, Ashbash and I were lucky judgers in the News and Observers Holiday Cookie Contest.  

I know you are jealous, and yes, it was a wonderful sugar overload. 
A couple of recipes really stood out though, and after making some of my chocolate peppermint cupcakes, I decided to put the leftover frosting to good use with one of the recipes.

Ashley suggested I make a chocolate cookie sandwich with the leftover peppermint frosting, so I did, using this recipe for World Peace Cookies.  They are a chocolate slice and bake and thus pretty easy to make with the handy-dandy-stand mixer.  Though next time I might consider adding an egg, they could use the extra binding I think. 

So, follow the recipe, or maybe add an egg (I'll update you once I test out the adapted recipe),

Slice up the log:



Bake up the cookies and let cool:


And then, apply a smear of frosting to one cookie, and top with another, 
ta-da:


Peppermint frosting (full) recipe:
This recipe frosted 9 big cupcakes, 24 mini cupcakes, and 12 sandwich cookies
15 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 to 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
Beat butter in the bowl of a standmixer, adding in sugar by the half-cup.  Once all the sugar is incorporated add in the vanilla and peppermint extract to taste.

I also like to stir in some crushed up candy canes for good measure.


Hope you keep the holiday spirit alive a little bit longer!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment