Wednesday, August 29, 2012

settlers of cake-tan

It was Jonathan's birthday and so of course I made a cake.  A while ago he asked if I could make a settlers of catan inspired cake, so clearly this would be the time to make it happen. 

He also requested a funfetti cake so 2 become 1... 
oh sorry, not time for spice girls, back to cake.

One box of funfetti makes two rounds. 
I made the frosting:
12 T butter, 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 t vanilla, 1/4 t lemon juice

I kept some of it white and added sprinkles to keep the funfetti going and used it in between the layers:

 

Then I cut off the sides into the appropriate hexagon shape,


I added some blue food gel to the remaining frosting and coated the cake a few times:


Finally I made some royal frosting (I just use the recipe on the back of my meringue powder), colored it  the colors of the tiles in the game, and got to work making many mini hexagon pieces for the top:


ta-da!


(yes there are both initials and the name because i originally didn't think i would have enough frosting, but then i did...)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment