Wednesday, May 15, 2013

chalkboard painting

A long time ago I saw this on pinterest (of course) and wanted my very own menu board, for obvious reasons.  I put it on the list of things to do and eventual made my way to home depot and found a piece of wood of about the right width, however it was too long so it became two pieces.  I decided one would be a menu board and the other, a score keeper for games and such.

What you'll need:
--A piece of wood of desired size
--Chalkboard paint
--Chalk
--Craft Vinyl and/or acrylic paint and brush

Step One: Paint
Using your chalkboard paint, apply two coats to the boards, letting it dry in between.  
I used a small roller brush.

Step Two: Design
I planned out what I wanted for the design of each board.  I have a cricut and decided to use it and some craft vinyl because my free hand writing with a paint brush can be a little rough...
I tested out my design with regular paper to get the sizing and placement right.

Step Three: Cut & Place
Then I cut the design out of the vinyl on the Cricut - the pressure, speed, and size dial were all set to 4.
I stuck on the pieces to their appropriate location and smoothed them over a couple of times.
So that it looked like this:

Step Four: Season
I seasoned the chalkboard by rubbing chalk all over it and then wiping it off.

Step Five: Hang Up!
Now it's ready to go and inspire and be cute in kitchen!

*Score Keeper*
For the second board I did the exact same steps but I also used some paint to add polka dots and a tic-tac-toe board.
Ta-Da!

Keep crafting kids

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment