Monday, November 14, 2011

Sweet Treats

Porto's is probably my favorite bakery.  The cubans do it well.  I'm not going to lie.
Though they have many tasty treats that make my mouth water, like their potato balls (yup I said it), I recently had a bad craving for one of their sweet treats: the cheese roll.

Let's just say it's amazing. No exaggeration here fools. But seriously, what's a girl to do when she is 3,000 miles away from a decent cheese roll?  Clearly, I needed to give it a homemade go.

So the real thing is basically a pastry dough that is a cross between puff pastry and a croissant filled with a delicious cream cheese filling.

I worked with what I had: puff pastry, sugar (raw and white), cream cheese, and vanilla.


I was low on puff pastry - down to just a third of a sheet so this was going to be a small batch.

1. Let the dough come to room temperature and then roll out slightly. Follow directions on package and preheat oven to ~425.
2. In a small bowl, combine ~1/4 cup of cream cheese with 2 T white sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
3. Cut pastry dough into 8 even slices. Scoop 1/4 of filling onto 4 pieces of dough.  Top with remaining pieces and pinch the sides with a fork.
4. Place on baking sheet and spray or brush with a little canola oil, sprinkle with raw sugar.
5. Bake (following package directions) for ~ 10-12 minutes.


When these bad boys come out of the oven get ready for a bite of heaven.
It's not the real thing, but it's pretty delicious.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment